Roger Lacson’s Status Report for 2/11/2023

• What did I personally accomplish this week on the project?:
    • Began researching encoding patterns for transmission via laser
      • Hamming Code could be used to reach the specification presented in our slides (2-bit error detection, 1-bit error correction)
      • Duplicate Code could handle error correction but would make messages bulky and it’s too inefficient
      • Checksum may not be best due to collisions and lack of utility for the amount of resources it would require
    • Began looking into how ambient light would create noise and what issues to be aware of
      • In stable light environments, we just need to adjust the baseline levels of background and adjust thresholds
      • Unstable light environments (i.e. flicking a light on and off) may cause problems due to continuous need to readjust thresholds
        • Not a commonly discussed topic. This requires further research.
        • However, this should not be too much of a problem considering most environments have stable lighting and if there is any dimming (e.g. due to ambient sunlight) the change is gradual enough that it can be detected and corrected for
  • Is your progress on schedule or behind?
    • My progress is on track in accordance with the schedule. It is somewhat difficult to progress from a software perspective while we are still ironing out component details. However, using the information that I have, I can hopefully mitigate work further down the line.
  • What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?
    • Pseudocode for data reading and decoding
    • Signal Processing background information for fluctuating light levels
    • I will also monitor how KJ and Anju implement hardware to adjust how my implementation requirements adjust