Mason’s Status Report for 2/25

This week I was supposed to write testing frameworks for the device and server, which I started work on. However, I did not completely finish them because I started working ahead on the receipt printer. It came to my attention that in order for Rachel to do her ML training, we would need to construct a set of training images of the cards we will be using. In order to do that, we need to be able to print cards, so I prioritized being able to print receipts. There were a couple of hang ups I had to address along the way.

1. I needed to be able to connect the raspberry pi the the school internet, which I was able to do with Ankita’s guidance. This required me to mess with some of the network configuration files and learn how the wpa_supplicant daemon works and how network cards are represented on Unix systems.
  2. Then, I needed to figure out how to connect the receipt printer in a productive way. I discovered that serial ports are represented as tty ports. There was some more configuration files I needed to mess with to make sure the actual pins were connected to the file though. Then I was able to write to the file and send data to the printer for the first time.
  3. Finally, did some research into making it possible for my partners to ssh into the pi instead of just me. Next time we meet, I will register their public keys as authorized keys so they can do work.

This week I got behind on the testing frameworks. I am confident that I can finish them before the end of next week along with my other tasks so that we can get back on schedule.

Next week I am going to make the interface I started with the printer concrete. This task is high priority so we can start printing cards and Rachel can be unblocked.