Mukundh Balajee’s Status Report for 04/08

This week, I ensured communication between different systems worked as expected. This includes connecting our Arduino, and RPi to communicate with each other and information flowed accurately between the two systems. I was also able to manufacture our pieces and print all pour components required for blind users to play physical chess.

Currently, we are slightly behind on our schedule as our PCBs had to be re-fabricated and re-ordered. This delay could potentially affect us, however, I have been able to simulate the testing script to ensure that our current system works correctly, so that we would only have to establish communication between the physical board and the online platform.

Regarding testing and validation, I have been able to add error logs in my software scripts to ensure I can catch any error by monitoring the errors.log file. Since we do not have our hardware components yet, we decided to simulate inputs like it would be made by a user, to play a game of chess with an online player. We also have been measuring our latency goals as we develop, to ensure we stay within our target. We have been user-testing our pieces to ensure our blind users can recognize pieces correctly, and identify the coordinates with the braille notation.

For next week, I plan on finishing the fabrication of our PCB and having our PCB powered, and connected to our software system. I also plan to ensure we have a fully functional button system for starting a game and performing other functions required for the game of chess, and also make sure we have our speaker embedded in our board.