Charlie’s status report for 19 February 2022

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

This week, I sent the purchase orders for the components that my team would need for our project. Most of our parts have arrived. I tested to make sure that our webcam and microphone array worked by plugging into my computer.

To start working on our speech separation techniques, I recorded audio with two speakers, where the two speakers are located on the opposite sides of the circular microphone array. More specifically, I measured the spacing between each of the microphones, which is a crucial parameter for delay and sum beamforming.

My team and I have also finalized our design. More specifically, we decided that in order to make our system real-time, we will broadcast our video output with captions on a computer, and then do screensharing. We came up with this solution after conducting intensive literature reviews of the challenges that previous capstone groups faced with real-time streaming of video and audio data.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

We are currently on schedule since the focus of this week was to work on the design presentation that Larry is presenting. In the coming weekend, I will work closely with Larry during the weekend to help him prepare for his presentation.

In the next week, stella and I will begin collecting more audio files. The current audio files that we had collected were in a noisy room, which made it very difficult for us to separate speech properly. I am thinking of collecting our audio files in a soundproof room in fifth commons.

I will also start to come up with some designs for microphone beamforming and Short-Time-Fourier-Transform speech separation techniques. In the following week, I will then test my speech separation techniques on the audio files that I have collected.