It’s been a while since I’ve posted one of these. Progress the last few weeks has been very slow, given my traveling over spring break, plentiful other obligations, and now the transition to remote classes. With regards to the COVID-19 situation, I’m currently remaining in Pittsburgh, where I should remain for the rest of the semester. Preparations for lockdown and resolving various other details has occupied a significant chunk of time this week, and I’m pretty much exactly where I was progress-wise going into spring break two weeks ago. That is, the implementation is written and documented, individual modules have been tested, but I am still writing the tests for the overall implementation with all modules instantiated. We’ve also made the switch away from the DE0-CV boards – Professor Nace has shipped out the DE2-115s which recently arrived, and I still have the ribbon cables Alton gave me a while back. I’m setting those up and synthesizing the networking design over the next few days. I’ll have some images to share then, along with statistics on the area consumed by the design along with its performance. Integration with the game logic will be done remotely with Deanyone, and can begin as soon as I am done with testing.

Here’s one of my file headers, detailing the overall sender module and part of the interface with the game logic. Essentially, the game logic will assert an update_data signal for one cycle every frame indicating to the sender that there is fresh data to load in, which will be promptly encoded and transmitted serially.

Eric’s Status Update for March 21