Rohan’s Status Report for 11/18

This week my team focused again on integration of the three systems: Front-End, Eye-Tracking, and Audio Alignment. The main issue right now is tying everything to the Front-end, i.e. how the other two systems communicate with the Front-end and how the Front-End communicates back to those systems.

As a result, this week I mainly worked on debugging front-end issues and helping set up the display of the uploaded sheet music display. I worked with Sanjana on this feature. We both decided that it would best to convert the sheet music pdf to a set of images, and then display the images one at a time as pages. There were a lot of issues when trying to do this. First, the pdf would not display because it was not being processed properly. When we fixed that issue, converting the pdf to images had its own issues. The image paths would always be incorrectly saved, so they could never be accessed. The div containing the images also caused problems. However, we were able to debug and fix this issue. We were able to get the images display one at a time.

Later in the week, I helped Caleb install Django and set up our front-end application locally on his laptop. It took a couple of days but I helped him get it done. Lastly, towards the end of the week I was researching how to use web sockets to update the page display when the backend sends the signal to turn the page. I was following this tutorial: https://earthly.dev/blog/build-real-time-comm-app/.

So far, my progress is on schedule, but for the remainder of the semester there is a lot of work left. Next week, I plan to implement web-sockets for the backend to update the front-end. I also look into how a web-socket can be used between the our Eye-tracking script and the front-end.