Sanjana’s Status Report for 10/21

This week, I worked with my team to flash the Google Board. We followed the directions on this site, however we are behind schedule in terms of getting the board operating with some basic functionality. We weren’t able to get the board connected to Wi-Fi, therefore we’re looking into a couple options: continue researching Wi-Fi connectivity and how feasible that is, or connect via the Google Board’s ethernet port. My main concern about an ethernet port is that it could violate the use case requirement of portability and simple hardware setup.

The majority of my hours worked this week went into preparing the Design Report on time. The Design Report involved a lot of additional research and helped us better understand the scope and technical requirements of our project.

Overall, progress is slightly behind schedule. I am planning on catching up this week by working on the frontend experience flow and figuring out how the pages will be navigated locally. These deliverables should allow me flexibility in terms of integrating the audio and visual components into the display over the next couple of weeks. Furthermore, I will be working more with the Google Board to help setup internet connection and a GitHub repo with all our code.

In order to implement my portion of this project, I’m looking into learning some new tools. The new tools I need to study are Python display libraries: PyQt5 and Tkinter being the top 2. I intend to follow some tutorials to better understand the advantages and disadvantages of each approach and then finish implementation. One roadblock I’m facing is file organization. There are several sub-systems in SoundSync – frontend, backend, audio alignment, and eye tracker processing. We have some Google Board starter code and will be running into integration issues and compatibility between different Python libraries in the near future – it’ll be my job to debug those.