James’s Status for 10/23

Last week, I mainly focused on the design review report. I didn’t get it as far along / as polished as I would have hoped; this means it will be more work for us when updating it for the final document. I ended up writing sections 1, 2, 3, 3.2, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 6.1, 9, 9.1, acronym glossary, BoM, and references. I was unable to write more, or organise with my partners to write more in their sections, but I know that we messed this up badly, and we will aim to rectify it before the time the final report comes around.

This week, I focused more on optimising CNN operations on the FPGA. This is a little bit out of order, but I decided to do things a bit out-of-order because it works much more synergystically with where we are in reconfig right now. I have so far increased throughput (on a basic fast-CNN implementation) by 25% to 20MOp/s, but am expecting to settle at two orders of magnitude higher than where I am right now. I also helped Kunal on-ramp with some Vitis stuff, as he was slipping behind on ramping with the platform. I shared excerpts from Vitis tutorials that we were given for reconfig, as well as pointing him more directly in the direction of online resources for Vitis. I need to circle back with him and check where he is with progress on i/o, and plan to do so this coming Monday. This may effect the Gantt chart / schedule, but we have the slack to allow for it for now. I will be keeping tabs on how much slack I use in my tasks because I know that I have begun cutting things close with the amount of remaining slack which I am allotting myself.